Wednesday, June 29, 2011

OpenIndiana - package manager

I've finally got round to installing and having a bit of a play with OpenIndiana. So far so good. It has the features from Solaris I like - ZFS, zones etc. and most of the command line utilities that I use on a daily basis; but seems a little bit more usable as a Desktop OS than Solaris is. I'm not going to get into a big long 'review' here, I'll save that for another day.

Just one thing I've come across that I'd like to cover and that is a small bug in the packagemanager application. It appears this application doesn't read the gnome 'Network Proxy' settings ( under System-> Preferences menu ). The annoying thing with this is, it doesn't report any network error, it just seems to hang while trying to update the cache.

The only way i found to get around this is to launch it from the command line specifying the proxy details"
sudo bash -c "export http_proxy=http://user:pass@proxy_address:port; /usr/bin/packagemanager"

It's a bit of a dirty way of doing things, but it'll suffice until this bug is fixed.

No comments: